Burton & District
Family History Society

A disbanded branch of Midland Ancestors
from 1st January 2018

 

Unfortunately, this branch of the Midland Ancestors closed down on 31st December 2017.

 

HOWEVER - there are some very interesting meetings in 2018 at our parent branch in Birmingham - some on Saturday afternoons and others on Wednesday evenings - as follows:

 

 

There are more details of these meetings on the
Midland Ancestors Events pages for February, March, April, May, June, July,

 

Getting to the Birmingham Meetings in Margaret Steet is relatively easy on the CrossCity train service from Lichfield, starting by taking the car (full of passengers, of course) to Lichfield Station car park (free after 6.30pm on weekdays). The walk along Stephenson Street, up Pinfold Street, across Victoria Square and along Eden Place into Margaret Street is very easy and takes about 5-10 minutes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Background information about the images in the heading.

The illustration used in the heading of this website is of the extensive Goat Maltings in Clarence Street opened by Peter-Walker & Co. Ltd. in 1883. Peter Walker was a member of a Scottish brewing family that settled in Liverpool. His brother founded the Walker Art Gallery.

 

In 1860 Peter bought the small Willow Brewery in Willow Road, Wrexham, and developed it into the largest brewery in the town. He served as Mayor of Wrexham in 1866 and 1867 but after his disappointment at not being elected for a third term in 1881 he decided to move his business to Burton on Trent in Staffordshire. He laid the foundation stone for his new brewery in February 1882 but died just two months later.

 

The Goat on the weather vane is a Welsh goat - a reminder of the company's origins in Wrexham.

Peter Walker was an inventor who patented the Burton Union system (though there is some doubt as to whether he actually was the inventor). The company originally operated as Peter Walker and Son in Liverpool and Warrington.

 

His eldest son, Sir Andrew Barclay Walker, merged his own operations and expanded the Burton-on-Trent brewery after his father's death. Sir Andrew pioneered many of the innovations in brewing production, beer distribution & pub management. The company merged with Cain's in 1921 and was acquired by the Aston-based Atkinson's Brewery in 1925, eventually being absorbed into Allied Breweries. The Goat Maltings finally closed in 1967.